Re: wish for Linux MD mirrored raid types

Leslie Rhorer wrote:
	The bottom line, however, is that even if RAID1 is at the code level
just a specific implementation of RAID10, it still is a sufficiently
distinct operational mode to warrant its own name, setting it aside from the
more general RAID10 implementation.  Aside from that, when I say, "My
servers boot from 2 disk RAID1 arrays", everyone knows exactly what I mean
without my having to go into more detail about the layout.  For the most
part, it doesn't really matter if I happened to create the array using a
specific layout of RAID10.  This has its greatest importance for someone
inexperienced with RAID systems, who perhaps is setting up his very first
mirrored array with a pair of disks.  Having to try to learn all the ins and
outs of RAID10 layouts just to be able to create a pair (or triplet) of
mirrored disks is not appropriate.

Good points all.

It is worth noting, that in this context, it's pretty silly to use a fancy setup for /boot and swap space - simple RAID1 mirrored partitions work just fine. Where RAID10 is excellent is as a starting point for LVM, and volumes that support virtual machines.