Re: wish for Linux MD mirrored raid types

On 06/05/2011 12:05, Jonathan Tripathy wrote:

RAID1 is traditionally a mirror only setup (ok, some RAID
implementations may do some load-balancing of some sort). So a RAID1
with 4 disks is one data set copied onto 4 disks. Bandwidth is roughly
the same as a single disk (ignoring any load balancing).
RAID10 is mirror and stripe. A RAID10 with 4 disks is similar to a 2
disk RAID0 (double bandwidth with data split in half across both
disks),
but with each disk having a mirror (which brings the total up to 4
drives).

Additionally, a RAID1 disk (at least using MD) can be accessed just
like
a normal disk (good for recovery etc.) however a single disk out of a
RAID10 array is next to useless.
Just so I can sleep at night, is my understanding of RAID10 and RAID1
above correct?

It's mostly right (assuming, of course, that /I/ am correct here...).

RAID1 is traditionally a two-way mirror on two disks (or possibly on two other raid sets, as in raid0+1). So if you talk about RAID1 with 4 disks, you should probably qualify it more precisely - otherwise people will wonder what you mean, or think it is impossible (many other RAID1 solutions, hardware or software, don't support more than two-way mirrors). /I/ would certainly say that a 4-disk RAID1 is a four-way mirror as you described - but some people might think of a standard layout RAID1+0.

As you say, RAID10,near on four disks is pretty much identical to RAID1+0 - i.e., a stripe of two normal RAID1 pairs.

A single md RAID1 disk can be accessed like a normal disk, /if/ it uses metadata format 0.90 which is put at the end of the drive. If you have later metadata formats that are at the beginning, then that will cause trouble if you try to view the disk without using md. A single disk from a RAID10 is, as you say, useless without md.

However, assuming your recovery PC supports md raid, then you can assembly your single RAID10 disk as a degraded RAID10 array. After all, it wouldn't be very redundant if you only had access to your data when all the disks were working!