Re: RAID6 r-m-w, op-journaled fs, SSDs

On Sun, 01 May 2011 17:24:09 +0200 David Brown <david.brown@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> On 01/05/11 00:27, NeilBrown wrote:
> > On Sat, 30 Apr 2011 16:27:48 +0100 pg_xf2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Peter Grandi)
> > wrote:
> >

> >>    * Can Linux MD do "abbreviated" read-modify-write RAID6
> >>      updates like for RAID5? That is where not the whole stripe
> >>      is read in, modified and written, but just the block to be
> >>      updated and the parity wblocks.
> >
> > No.  (patches welcome).
>
> As far as I understand the raid6 mathematics, it shouldn't be too hard
> to do such abbreviated updates, but that it could quickly lead to
> complex code if you are trying to update more than a couple of blocks at
> a time.

The RAID5 code already handle some of this complexity.

It would be quite easy to modify the code so that we have
 - list of 'old' data blocks
 - P and Q blocks
 - list of 'new' data blocks.

We then just need to (optimised) maths to deduce the new P and Q given all
of that.
Of course you would only bother with a 7-or-more disk array..

NeilBrown