RE: A few questions regarding RAID5/RAID6 recovery

-----Original Message-----
From: linux-raid-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:linux-raid-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of David Brown
Sent: Tuesday, April 26, 2011 9:22 AM
To: linux-raid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: A few questions regarding RAID5/RAID6 recovery

> You are not alone in these concerns.  A couple of months ago there was a
> long thread here about a roadmap for md raid.  The first two entries are
> a "bad block log" to allow reading of good blocks from a failing disk,
> and "hot replace" to sync a replacement disk before removing the failing
> one.  Being on a roadmap doesn't mean that these features will make it
> to md raid in the near future - but it does mean that there are already
> rough plans to solve these problems.

> <http://neil.brown.name/blog/20110216044002>

Thank you David, this explains a lot. I hope we'll see this some day implemented.

Can you comment on my first question too please? Basically i'm just curious to know if there is a way to stop and restart the rebuilding process (and change/re-create the array in between them).

Btw, i read somewhere, that "--stop", then "--create --assume-clean" on an array works only on v0.9 superblocks, because v1.x overwrites existing data during create. It doesn't make sense for me - but i'm not sure -, so is this true? If not, then is it enough to use the same suberblock version for "--create" to make this work without data loss?

Thanks,
Peter