http://raid.wiki.kernel.org/ unreachable - need to "lend" clone of RAID1 HD to another machine

I've been trying to get through without success for over an hour. Is the content there mirrored somewhere? Is there an alternate, preferably in FAQ format?

I have a pair of HDs partitioned with 14 identical partitions each, 7 of which on each make up 1 of 2 partitions making up 7 md devices. The seven md devices were originally configured through openSUSE installation's YaST2. I made a clone of the whole of one HD. This clone I want to attach to another machine simply to copy the files from one partition's EXT3 filesystem that is a component of md7 on the original machine.

Can I just mount that partition on the other machine RO as an ordinary EXT3 partition to make the copies, or does that machine need to have a RAID "built" or "rebuilt" with mdadm in order to mount that disks partition as a degraded array? Nothing shows up in /dev/mdstat booting with it plugged in, even after copying /etc/mdadm.conf from the original machine. I tried modprobe raid1, but that didn't seem to affect anything I can tell. Fdisk -l /dev/sdb shows me only what I expect, a bunch of 0x83 and 0xfd partitions, while fdisk -l produces none of the extra output I'm used to seeing on the system with the full RAID1 running.

Problem 2: Looking at the mdadm man page, I really don't understand the distinction between build and create, or what a persistent superblock is good for.

Help please!
--
The husband should fulfill his marital duty to
his wife, and likewise the wife to her husband.