Re: debian software raid1

On Fri, 22 Apr 2011 15:21:39 -0400 Iordan Iordanov <iordan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Hello again,
>
> On 04/19/11 08:12, b2 wrote:
> > sorry for my lame question , just don't know how (if possible) to do it.
>
> After the 3rd system I had to do this on in the last 3 days, I decided
> to write a guide myself :). I hope it helps!
>
> http://iiordanov.blogspot.com/2011/04/how-to-convert-your-single-drive-linux.html

> Create the array. I decided to make a RAID10 array instead of a RAID1 array,
> which gives me faster sequential reads, but amounts to the same thing in terms
> of data replication. RAID10 with two drives and "n2"

This is not correct.  RAID10-n2 on 2 drives is exactly the same layout and
very nearly the same speed as RAID1 on 2 drives.  (I say 'very nearly' only
because the read-balancing code is a little different and might have slightly
different results).

Or have you measured these two and found an actually difference?  That would
certainly be interesting.

RAID10-f2 will give faster sequential reads at the cost of slower writes.

NeilBrown