Re: debian software raid1

Hi Joe,

On 04/19/11 20:33, Joe Landman wrote:
This gets to my question, since we haven't tried this yet ... can we do
whole device MD RAIDs, and boot from them? Is there anything special we
need to do in their construction (use --auto=mdp or similar)? We'd
really prefer to go this route rather than building multiple smaller
RAIDs. We can manage the latter, but the former is far easier/cleaner to
handle rebuilds with.

A few days ago (just before this thread started, coincidentally), I converted a single drive system to RAID1 by adding a second disk, and raiding the whole drive. This does have the drawback that any replacement drives have to be the same size or bigger than what you had to begin with. I am running Ubuntu 10.04.

A few things I had to make sure, and I disclaim that this is not an exhaustive list. I created the array and named it /dev/md0. Then, I had to do:

1) mdadm --examine --scan > /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf
2) Rebuild initrd, so that upon boot the array will be assembled automatically based on this mdadm.conf. On Debian/Ubuntu, this can be done with update-initramfs.

When you partition /dev/md0 with whatever partitioner you prefer, the kernel does see the partitions, and makes /dev/md0pN for partition number N. Hence you can use these to mount/start swap.

For the record, I have been suspending/resuming that Ubuntu 10.04 with swap living on one of the RAID1 partitions with no ill effect, and will revisit this thread if I ever do experience issues!

Also, I was thinking of switching from RAID1 to RAID10 with near layout and two copies (effectively RAID1) in order to get faster reads - anybody have any opinion on this?

Cheers everyone, and thanks for all the discussion!
Iordan