single threaded parity calculation ?

Hi all,
I'm under the impression that the read speed of my 10x1TB RAID5 array is limited by the 'single-threaded parity calculation' ? (I'm quoting Phil Turmel on that and other linux-raid messages I've read seem to confirm that terminology) I'm running an i7 920 with irqbalance but if something is single threaded or single CPU bound I'm wondering what I can do to alleviate it.

iostat reports 83MB/s for each disk, running up to 830MB/s for all 10 disks, but the max read speed of the array is approx 256MB/s.

Would it be better to have 5 (or more) partitions on each disk, create 5xraid5 arrays (each of which would in theory have a separate thread) and then create a linear array over the top of them to join them together ?

yes...I know this is way overthinking and also a potentially dangerous to recreate, but I'm curious what the opinions are. I think I'll probably just end up buying another 1TB drive and making it an 11 disk RAID6 instead. I want maximum space, maximum speed and maximum redundancy ;-).

TIA :-)

Simon