Re: RAID6 data-check took almost 2 hours, clicking sounds, system unresponsive

On 14/04/2011 22:19, Mathias BurÃn wrote:
On 14 April 2011 22:14, Gavin Flower<gavinflower@xxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
[...]
Attaching OpenDocument file with full details of smart output and comparison table.
[...]
sda has a value higher than 0 on reported uncorrected sectors. That's
enough for me to replace a drive. (heck, even if I see 1 reallocated
sector I'd RMA it ASAP).

I've had a look at some of my drives' SMART output, and only my Samsung drives have it - one showing 57 (with zero reallocated, pending or offline sectors) and one showing 331 (zero reallocated, one pending and zero offline sectors). Neither drive has ever given a read error, and I do run a weekly check on my arrays which has never reported any mismatches.

Googling for this field doesn't give any indication that it is relevant to determining whether a drive is failing, but if someone with more SMART expertise can comment I'll be quite happy to be corrected...

Having said that, all of Gavin's drives apart from sdc show non-zero reallocated sector counts, and that field definitely is one to follow when considering replacing drives.

Cheers,

John.
(Just started long self-tests on all my local drives)