Re: Upgrading from RAID 5 to 6 or build native level 6?

On Fri, 18 Feb 2011 19:02:07 -0700
Beolach <beolach@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> That information is incomplete or out-of-date.  During a RAID 5 to
> RAID 6 reshape, there may be an intermediate step where all of the Q
> parity blocks are stored on one disk, but as the reshape continues, it
> will move all the Q parity blocks to a normal RAID 6 layout.  IIRC, in
> the very early stages of RAID 5 to RAID 6 reshape development, it
> would leave it in the abnormal layout, but that has not been the case
> for quite some time.  And I believe in some cases a RAID 5 to RAID 6
> reshape will not even use the intermediate step w/ the abnormal
> layout.  After the reshape fully completes, it is exactly the same as
> a RAID 6 array built from scratch.

See man mdadm --layout=preserve vs --layout=normalise.
I am not sure which one of these is the default, but it is definitely still
possible to convert RAID5 to RAID6 (while adding one disk) without restriping,
and to me this looks like a very useful feature, not something outdated.

--
With respect,
Roman