Recovery Optimization?

I'm just learning how the md system works so what
I'm going to say might not be sensible.

I read that if a disk in a RAID5 set goes bad, and the
disk is replaced by a new one, that the recovery operation
takes place blindly. By this I mean that all the stripes
will be read so that new parity blocks can be written.
But, there might be stripes that contain only blocks
that aren't used by the filesystem. Wouldn't it be
good when doing recovery if some kind of allocation
map were created so that unused stripes wouldn't be
restored. I would think that depending on how full
the disk is that this could save time.

Is this reasonable?

Cordially,
--