Re: Shouldn't --zero-superblock reset the UUID?

On Thu, 17 Feb 2011 12:21:05 +1100 linbloke <linbloke@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> hansbkk@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > I've only seen this problem with RAID1, but perhaps it applies to other levels.
> >
> > When adding a member partition to an array, the UUID of that partition
> > gets set to that of the array (and all the other members)
> >
> > However, when fail/remove/zero-superblock 'ing a member back out of
> > the array, the UUID gets left behind, along with the label and fs
> > type.
> >
> > Ideally the partition would be left in a state as if it never had any
> > filesystem at all on it, as when using dd /if=dev/zero and a fresh
> > sfdisk.
> >
> > If this isn't possible, perhaps the zero-superblock option should
> > trigger a reminder message to either zero the drive or re-format the
> > partition?
> >

> I recall reading on this list that zero-superblock only zero's the first
> superblock that it finds. It may be necessary to run mdadm
> zero-superblock several times to remove all superblocks that may be on
> the device from historical times.

The latest mdadm will zero all superblocks it can find.

How I suspec the OP is actually talking about a 'filesystem' uuid rather than
a 'raid' uuid...  After all it is "along with the label and fs type".

So: kansbkk: What makes you think the uuid is left behind?  Knowing that will
  help know what uuid you are talking about.

NeilBrown