Re: Reshaping RAID-0?

Thanks, John and Neil.  I have just a few more questions.

Any chance of this working on 2.6.32?  Specifically, Suse Linux
Enterprise Server 11 SP1?  :-)

I am interested in attempting this "by hand", so...

>  - convert the RAID0 to RAID4
>  - disable recovery from auto-starting
>  - add /dev/newdisc to the array as a spare (but recovery won't start)
>  - request a size change to one extra disk
>  - start the reshape
>  - wait for the reshape to complete
>  - convert back to RAID0

...could someone flesh out the mdadm and /sys invocations a little
bit?  Even vague pointers would be fine.

To make sure I understand the procedure correctly...  We convert from
RAID0 to (degraded) RAID4, disable recovery, add a new disk as a
spare.  That gives us a degraded RAID 4 with a spare.  So far I get
it.

But why are "request a size change to one extra disk" and "start the
reshape" separate steps?  I assume that "start the reshape" is to take
us to a (larger) degraded RAID 4, but what state are we in after the
"request a size change"?  (Put another way, what is the new disk being
used for, exactly, after the "size change" completes?  How does that
differ from after the "reshape" completes?)

Thanks again.

 - Pat