RE: Software RAID and Fakeraid

	Convoluted?  It simply removes an unnecessary layer of management.
If anything, it is less convoluted, and one needn't worry about partition
types and their associated limitations.  I currently have 24 un-partitioned
drives in my two RAID systems.

> > I would rather have something I know works with my
> > bootloader and other tools, than gain that extra 1MB (at most) that not

	Modern bootloaders don't require partitions, either, IIRC, although
in fact I do partition my boot drives.

> > having partitions gives.  Also given many PCs won't boot from a drive
> > without a partition table, it isn't even an option then.

	Do you have an example?  I'm not aware of any.  In any case, as I
said, I do recommend partitioning the boot drive, at a minimum into a root
and a swap partition.  I also like to keep the /boot target separate, but
then /boot is tiny.

> For others googling this later, another very good reason for *never*
> RAID'ing raw block devices (ie always creating at least one partition
> first) is that if you ever mistakenly boot into some flavors of
> Windows (even from some optical discs, perhaps unknowingly left ina
> drive), your disks will automatically get "helpfully" initialized, as
> windoze thinks it's a brand new empty drive being offered up like a
> virgin for sacrifice - **poof** there goes all your data.
>
> Speaking from experience 8-(

	This is only true with very old versions of Windows.  What's more,
the data certainly can be recovered.  None of my data drives are
partitioned.  There's really no point.