Re: RAID 5 - One drive dropped while replacing another

On 2 February 2011 14:21,  <hansbkk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 6:36 AM, Roman Mamedov <rm@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>> I have a RAID5 setup with 15 drives.
>>
>> Looks like you got the problem you were so desperately asking for, with this
>> crazy setup. :(
>
> Please give some more details as to what's so crazy about this.
>
> I would think RAID6 would have made more sense, possibly with an
> additional spare if these are large drives (over a few hundred GB?)
>
> Or is there an upper limit as to the number of drives that's advisable
> for any array?
>
> If so, then what do people reckon a reasonable limit should be for a
> RAID6 made up of 2TB drives?
> --

With 15 drives, where only 1 can fail (RAID5) without data loss.. it's
a quite high risk that 2 (or more) drives will fail within a short
period of time. If you have less drives, this chance decreases. For
large amount of drives I recommend RAID10 personally (or RAID1+0,
whichever you prefer).

RAID6 + 1 hot spare is also nice, and cheaper. (for ~10 drives)

// Mathias