Re: intel fakeraid (imsm) linux kernel support

Dear Mr. Williams,

Thank you *very* much... you added very valueable pieces to my imsm RAID(-0) puzzle.

I just used the term "fakeraid" because it is *short* :) ... I did not mean it negative. Plus a lot of people use this term:
	https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/RAID#Firmware.2Fdriver-based_RAID_.28.22FakeRAID.22.29
	The Ubuntu FakeRAID HowTo
	ArchLinux FakeRaid Howto

I would really like a new point on the raid-wikis first page named along these lines:
	"[Intel] Firmware-based/BIOS-supported RAID ("FakeRAID")"
And I can do this if you want (aready created account yesterday).

On there should be a
	- short description about what what a "fakeraid" is
	- then for INTEL the info you get when you google for "intel linux raid"
- the info from Dan's answer below. Especially the part with "the option-rom installs a bios int13 handler" (because there /is/ confusion about that out there :). - Also the answer to the belows question: "How to install a bootloader" should be on there.

And of course the more technical details the better. Eg.
- that (and maybe why) the primary partitions setup within the imsm raid(-0) will be created on the first physical drive (/dev/sda), but not on the other drives.
	- maybe even more in depth details on the external metadata format
- maybe some commonly used commandlines for mdadm and dmraid to check the raid status ... or at least links to their howtos/wikis...

You mentioned:
 > One of the primary benefits of using the Intel(R) RST (mdadm-imsm)
 > format is that you can use the platform bios option-rom to boot from
 > raid.
2 questions:
	a) What does RST stand for?
b) Does the (mdadm-imsm) mean, that the device-mappers "dmraid -f isw" does not the same (or does intel just officially only support mdadm imsm?)

And finally: Can anyone tell me which solution:
	dmraid -f isw
	mdadm with imsm container support
is better in the sense:
	- faster (higher throughput)
	- less load (e.g. on cpu)
	- more stable
	- more features
I already posted this question to the dm-devel@xxxxxxxxxx mailing list but (afaik) never got an answer.

Also: What I find odd with the dmraid solution: In fdisk it shows you e.g. /dev/dm-0p6, but there is no /dev/dm-0p6, there is only /dev/dm-0 to /dev/dm-11 and many /dev/mapper/LONGNAME symlinks to the /dev/dm-*. But the /dev/mapper/Volume_HASH_06 points to /dev/dm-4 ?!.... IMHO: total mess.

--------------

"How to install a bootloader"?

You mentioned:
> One of the primary benefits of using the Intel(R) RST (mdadm-imsm)
> format is that you can use the platform bios option-rom to boot from
> raid. So grub, grub2, lilo, or any other bootloader can boot from raid.
> This is because the option-rom installs a bios int13 handler that allows
> the bootloader to read from a raid volume as if it were a standalone disk.

Which sounds great, but I can send you the chatlog from the #grub channel this morning... they don't seem to have an idea about that.

Could you/someone be so kind to provide me with the steps to manually install grub (legacy v0.97) or grub2 (v1.98) on a linux that accesses the raid via mdadm-imsm (/dev/md126, /dev/md127)?

Because for me it seems: "Intel" says: grub, gub2: No problem. "Grub" says: ??? I know that this is not a grub mailing list, but maybe just a small hint? Like: What should be in /boot/grub/device.map?
/dev/md126?
Do I install grub to the container (/dev/md127) or to the volume (/dev/md126)?
E.g.
- grub legacy gave me a "Error 22" on "setup (hd0)" with "/dev/md126 as (hd0) in device.map - grub2: 1st it seems unclear what should be in the /dev/md, because grub assembles /dev/mdadm raids (independent of the BIOS), 2nd it seems unclear how this internal mdadm assembly interferes with "accessing the RAID via the int13 handler as a standalone disk"
- lilo: I would prefer a grub based solution

Again: Maybe this information is somewhere out there, but that's the problem: There are bits and pieces [about Intel BIOS supported RAID imsm] all over the place --> That's why I would love to (help to) create this wiki page I mentioned earlier to just assemble the most basic things in one place. .. Also that next time a guy like me (with a lot of half-knowledge ;) comes along and asks many "stupid" questions about imsm integration you can hopefully just point him to this wiki page.
Does this make sense to you too?

Any hint will be greatly appreciated!

K. Posern