intel fakeraid (imsm) linux kernel support

Hi all,

I am trying to find out if it is possible to:

a) Have the linux kernel autodetect / auto-assemble the fakeraid (to avoid having an initrd (for speed and KISS))

	b) Boot linux kernel from a fakeraid this: grub2? lilo? ... anything?

About (a):
Is it possible to autodetect any intel fakeraid (imsm)?
If yes: What RAID-Levels are supported? Especially what would I need to do to get my RAID-0 auto-assembled?
If no: Are there plans?

About (b):
What boot-loader support to assemble the intel fakeraid to read the kernel from it - e.g. are able to assemble the /boot partition on the RAID (especially: level 0)?
According to this wiki entry:
	http://wiki.neuralbs.com/index.php/Gentoo_Quick_Install_notes#GRUB2
grub2 should support imsm (but grep for imsm in the Bazaar checkout does not yield any hit) <<< I also contacted the grub2 mailing-list for clarification I learned today that Ubuntu seems to be able to boot from a RAID-0 with grub2 (v1.98-1ubuntu7) and seemingly installed to /dev/mapper/isw_*. So far I only tried to install vanilla grub 1.98 to the mdadm v3 devices /dev/md12[67], without success. In the documentation of grub2 (afaik) they don't distinguish between mdadm/dmraid software raid, they just state that grub2 works with software raid.

Side-Question:
To be able to have the kernel auto-assemble / autodetect any [e.g. mdadm] linux software RAID-0 you need *partions*, right?
--> You can't assemble a software raid-0 using two complete drives:
	/dev/sda
	/dev/sdb
But you need to create e.g.:
	/dev/sda1 <<< type set to FD
	/dev/sdb1 <<< type set to FD

It would be great and very kind if someone could clarify these things for me (just a link to read the answers somewhere would work too ;).
Thanks a lot!

Knuth

P.S.:
I adore Intels engagement for linux. Unfortunately is there no website (yet?) "intellinuxraid.org" (like there is: intellinuxgraphics.org).

The only official information from intel (google: intel raid linux) I could dig up so fare states: imsm is supported with mdadm >=v3 and dmraid >=v1. That leaves a lot of questions (eg. I never saw any details on how the intel software raid format works - e.g. I noticed that the first physical device of my RAID-0 seems to have the primary paritions, all the other RAID-0 devices are unpartitioned).