Re: Replacing a drive in RAID 0

On Tue, 3 Aug 2010 13:46:58 +0600
Roman Mamedov <roman@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, 3 Aug 2010 16:14:56 +1000
> Neil Brown <neilb@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > > Yes, you can binary copy the drive like that, that's what I usually do.
> >
> > Of course you need to be sure that the old and new devices are exactly the
> > same size.  Normally they will but it is worth double checking that the
> > number of sectors (blockdev --getsize) is exactly the same.
>
> Isn't it okay for the new drive to be larger? At least if the RAID0 was
> created from partitions, not whole block devices.
> And if it was created from devices, there is a way to make the new larger
> drive to be of exactly the same size as the old one, by setting a HPA on it
> (see hdparm -N).

The thing that you include into the RAID0 must be the same size.  If that is
a partition, it is easy to make it the same size, but it is also easy to make
it a different size - so care must be taken.
If it is the whole device ... I wouldn't recommend using HPA - it would
probably confused you later.  Just create a partition of exactly the right
size and use that.

NeilBrown