Re: Why is sb->size set to 0 with raid0?

Neil Brown <neilb@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> The 'Used Dev Size' is the amount of each device that is used in the array.
> For RAID0 (and linear), there is no such number.  The devices can be of
> different sizes and in each case "all" of the available space is used.

Hmm, RAID0 has a chunk size - but I guess this is what you meant with
the quotes around "all" :)

> This has nothing to do with the bitmap.  Space reserved for the bitmap is
> out side of the 'Avail Dev Size'.

Sure, it has: having a zero 'Used Dev Size' (i.e. sb->size = 0) results
in not reserving space for a bitmap - at least for v1 superblocks:

		array_size = __le64_to_cpu(sb->size);
		/* work out how much space we left for a bitmap */
		bm_space = choose_bm_space(array_size);

... which I like in case of RAID0 (as I said), but of which I don't know
if you do like it as well ;) - for example, because it also prevents a
bitmap when the RAID0 is later converted to RAID5.

regards
   Mario
--
Jene, die grundlegende Freiheit aufgeben wuerden, um eine geringe
voruebergehende Sicherheit zu erwerben, verdienen weder Freiheit noch