Re: mapping ataXX.YY to a /dev/sdX

On 09/07/10 05:53, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:

I never really had a huge problem figuring out with high probability
which drive it was, but I wanted to know if there was a 100% certain way
of doing it. Seems there is not, am I the only one who is looking for
this functionality? I would think this is a fairly common problem?

Certainty would be nice, but in practice here I've always found that ataX = sdX+1 and I've relied on that mapping to always be constant. I've not yet found it otherwise, but I guess it's possible. I'd assume the libata guys should be able to provide a definite comment on that.

I've got no lights on my arrays, so it's even harder to identify which drive is which when you need to swap one out live. I've resorted to keeping a log of which serial number is in which physical slot, so I can look up the serial number of the failing drive with hdparm and I know I've got the right one. Again, it still hinges on the ata-sd mapping being constant. (it also relies on me updating the log when I swap a disk)

Brad
--
Dolphins are so intelligent that within a few weeks they can
train Americans to stand at the edge of the pool and throw them