Re: mdadm freezes the system

Hello.

To provide some updates on my earlier questions (for future generations
googling through the archives).

> So, my question is, does anyone have an idea on what could cause this, and
> what would be the best way to diagnose/fix the lockup problem?  Thanks in
> advance.

Since then I have re-created the original 3-device RAID5, it synced without
lockups. Perhaps I should write them off as some hardware bug, especially
considering that the nForce chipsets aren't exactly known as the gold standard
of bug-free design.

> So why the same RAID5 to RAID6 conversion started so differently in these two
> cases? And is it even possible to reshape RAID5 to RAID6 while simultaneously
> adding a disk, without overwriting all the other disks' contents (it surely
> looked like this is what was happening in the first case)?

Yes it is possible; I should have read about the --layout=preserve option in
the mdadm man page.

--
With respect,
Roman