RE: RAID Configuration For New Home Server

> >        Oh, I almost forgot.  It may be of notable mention an array with
> > 1.0 superblock can be read as if it were an ordinary partition.  This
> means
> > one can build a 1.0 superblock array containing a file system (ext2 may
> be
> > the best choice in this case), but boot from the partition just as if it
> > were not an array.  Once the system is booted, the array can be
> assembled
> > and then /boot can be mounted.  This is because:
> >
> > 1.  The 1.0 superblock is at the *END* of the array.
> >
> > 2.  The file system when created only uses up the front part of the
> > partition, leaving the superblock intact.
> >
> > 3.  GRUB does not require the file system to be mounted in order to read
> the
> > kernel and the initrd.  (Actually, it could be made to work even if it
> did
> > mount the partition, but since it does not, it makes it much easier.)
> >
> >        Indeed, this is the only way of which I know to boot to an array
> > using GRUB legacy.
> >

> Actually that is of interest. If there's a way to use a single RAID
> boot partition by itself once in awhile then there's value there if
> something has gone wrong and you're just trying to get the machine up
> and running.

	Well, of course a basic RAID1 array can be assembled with only one
member present, but yes, a RAID1 member partition with a 1.0 superblock can
be safely read (but not written!) as if it were an ordinary partition.  If
one has an unassembled RAID1 array comprised of 3 partitions, say /dev/sda1,
/dev/sdb1, and /dev/sdc1, one can simply mount /dev/sdb1 like any other
formatted partition.  Neither the OS nor the file system will be aware the
mount point is anything but a partially filled partition.  Of course, one
does not ordinarily wish to write to the partition which is so mounted
(mounting as read-only is a good idea), since doing so will de-sync the
array, and chances are the data would be lost when the array is
re-assembled, anyway.