Re: RAID Configuration For New Home Server

On Sat, Jun 5, 2010 at 10:19 AM, Leslie Rhorer <lrhorer@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [...]

Looks reasonable. Some comments:

1) I didn't bother using RAID on my /boot. I just installed grub on
each of the 3 drives but only boot from the first one. If that
partition goes bad I can boot from the second or third drive any time
by just telling BIOS to use a different drive. This saves me from
dealing with any mkinitrd stuff. I've never had a boot partition go
bad because of the drive itself in 14 years running Linux. They go bad
because I write the wrong stuff there. RAID doesn't solve that
problem. This method does require that I update the two backups by
hand once in awhile. That's OK by me.

2) I don't use RAID for swap. I let the kernel do that internally. I
almost never swap out on my home server so trying to protect that with
RAID for the few moments I might use it seems like overkill to me.

3) Your main RAID is exactly what I use on my home server, albeit I
use 3 drives, not 4.

HTH,
Mark