Re: devices get kicked from RAID about once a month

Dan Christensen wrote:
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx> writes:

Presumably something shows in the logs, that's the next place to look.

I believe my drives simply don't support adjusting the time it takes to
try to recover a read (CCTL).  Or did you mean the logs at the time of
failure?  If so, I posted those in the original message.

Those logs don't show any information useful to me which tells me how long md waited, and I'm not able to parse any of the res: information to gain clarity. It would be nice if someone can parse that, but I can't. On timeout an elapsed time output would be nice to indicate what the time limit is.

But I do have desktop drives in raid arrays, and they do spin down when not in use, and when I access the array after it's been unused I get a multi-second delay before my ls info comes back, so clearly there are some paths in the SATA handling which don't easily time out.

Have there been any kernel changes since 2.6.28 that might improve
reliability of my set-up?  It would be nice if md could be told to try
again before giving up on the drives.

Don't know, Neil might. I sure would like to see a timeout in ms in the /sys for the device and a flag for the array to not kick a drive for timeout until some number of consecutive timeouts have occurred. Note that I'm not suggesting some particular implementation, just some tunables. And if only one sector times out, a delayed reconstruct and rewrite might fix it. Again, a topic for discussion, not a "do thus" suggestion.

I would hope that a drive with multiple partitions would get the partitions kicked, not the whole drive at once. So one slow sector wouldn't take out multiple arrays.
Thanks for all of the help so far!

Dan

Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
 "We can't solve today's problems by using the same thinking we
  used in creating them." - Einstein