Re: recovering from a controller failure

On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 2:38 AM, Leslie Rhorer <lrhorer@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [...]
That's it - as you can see there are 15 drives in raid6 array. Examine
on disks from sda to sdh shows drives active and event count is 0.159,
sdi to sdp events count is 0.168 and show that sd[a-i] are faulty. So
I'm guessing there is no way to know which part of array is "right"
and i guess they are desynced.

>> And what this "Events" field really means? I didn't found description
>> in man pages.
>
>        I believe a number of things.  For one thing, it is used to keep
> track of which version of data resides in each drive, whenever an array
> event is encountered.  The value of the events counter in the members of an
> array should not be different by more than 1, or mdadm kicks the drive out
> of the array.
I've thought similar, but interesting - in this situation drives has
event count value like "0.168" and "0.159"...
> I expect it may also be used during forced re-assembly and /
> or during a resync of a RAID1 system to help determine which version of a
> stripe is correct.
>
> --

Best regards,
[COOLCOLD-RIPN]