RE: Broken RAID1 boot arrays

> On 10/05/10 10:17, John Robinson wrote:
> >
> > Secondly, the idea of grub1 chain-loading grub2 sounds iffy to me; use
> > either grub1 or grub2 but not both.
>
> This is Debian's upgrade-mechanism for Grub.  It sets up grub1 to give
> you the option of either:
>
> 1. Chainloading grub2, so that you can verify that it works correctly,
> and then issue the command to remove grub1, an just-use grub2 if you're
> happy with it, or in case there's some problem with grub2.
> 2. Booting the kernel directly from grub1 (then you can remove grub2
> once the system has booted).
>
> The OP should probably report this as a bug against the
> linux-image-2.6.xx package which they are using in Debian.

	I'm pretty sure it has been reported more than once.  Google brings
up a ton of responses when one searches for the error produced when udev
tries to upgrade and can't because of the old kernel.  I don't recall what
the error is, exactly, because I first ran into it several months ago.  Note
it is only encountered when trying to upgrade from "Lenny" to "Squeeze", not
when loading "Squeeze" directly, but then "Squeeze" is still a testing
distro.  It hasn't been released, yet, and probably won't be for several
more months.  I would expect the problem to be resolved by the time
"Squeeze" enters stable status.