Re: More Hot Unplug/Plug work

On 29/04/2010 02:19, Dan Williams wrote:
Neil Brown wrote:
I'm not sure how this fits with imposing platform constraints.
As platform constraints are closely tied to metadata types, it might be OK
to have a metadata-specific tags (imsm=???) and leave to details to the
metadata handler???

Dan: help me understand these platform constraints: what is the most complex
  constraint that you can think of that you might want to impose?

At this point we really only need one constraint: prevent controller spanning. If for example I take an existing imsm member off of ahci and reattach it via a usb-to-sata enclosure mdadm needs a policy to prevent associating that drive with anything on ahci.

In a pinch this policy can be disabled, but you wouldn't want to rebuild across usb or any other controller because the option-rom only talks ahci and will mark the drive missing.

So something like DOMAIN spanning=imsm, to tell mdadm to follow imsm rules for this domain. Where 'spanning' is policy tag??

Why isn't DOMAIN path=pci-0000:00:1f.2-scsi-[012345]* enough? Can't arrays span multiple Intel/imsm controllers? And if I start off my array on one Intel/imsm controller, and I add another JBOD controller, shouldn't I be allowed to grow my array to span the two controllers without rebuilding the array with new metadata? I know I can't expect the option ROM to cope with or boot off this array but would the option ROM in some manner damage such an array?

Cheers,

John.