Re: "failed" vs "removed" or "locked-out" state and --incremental auto-re-adding

As comming to "terms" working with mdadm took me a while, I'll add my current
"translations" of the actions to the discussion:

1) The "failed" state is the state a member that failed or is missing gets,
while it can stay listed in mdstat.

2) To "unbind", "unlist" or "dismiss" a member from the md device stats is
currently called to --remove it. In particular you can "unbind", "unlist" or
"dismiss" failed or detatched members with --remove failed/detached.

3) A safe way to "lock-out" or "really remove" members from udev/--incremental
assembly is not available yet AFAIK. (--zero-superblock on mirror members makes
the md device content detectable/available directly)

IMHO the ones mentioned first could seen as implied by those mentioned later.

I am unclear why --incremental seems to require a device to be unbound first
(--removed) in order to re-add it after it failed. IMHO it could do it itself if
it is really necessary without bothering the user.