Re: RAID5

On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 7:26 AM, Michael Tokarev <mjt@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Michael Evans wrote:
>> On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 6:32 AM, Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> []
>>> I have some recent experience with this gained the hard way, by looking for
>>> a problem rather than curiousity. My experience with LVM on RAID is that, at
>>> least for RAID-5, write performance sucks. I created two partitions on each
>>> of three drives, and two raid-5 arrays using those partitions. Same block
>>> size, same tuning for stripe-cache, etc. I dropped an ext4 on on array, and
>>> LVM on the other, put ext4 on the LVM drive, and copied 500GB to each. LVM
>>> had a 50% performance penalty, took twice as long. Repeated with four drives
>>> (all I could spare) and found that the speed right on an array was roughly
>>> 3x slower with LVM.
>>>
>> This issues sounds very likely to be write barrier related.  Were you
>> using an external journal on a write-barrier honoring device?
>
> This is most likely due to read-modify-write cycle which is present on
> lvm-on-raid[456] if the number of data drives is not a power of two.
> LVM requires the block size to be a power of two, so if you can't fit
> some number of LVM blocks on whole raid stripe size your write speed
> is expected to be ~3 times worse...
>
> Even creating partitions on such raid array is difficult.
>
> 'Hwell.
>
> Unfortunately very few people understand this.
>
> As of write barriers, it looks like either they already work
> (in 2.6.33) or will be (in 2.6.34) for whole raid5-lvm stack.
>
> /mjt

Even when write barriers are supported what will a typical transaction
look like?

Journal Flush
Data Flush
Journal Flush (maybe)

If the operations are small (which the journal ops should be) then
you're forced to wait for a read, and then make a write barrier after
it.

J.read(2 drives)
J.write(2 drives) -- Barrier
D.read(2 drives)
D.write(2 drives) -- Barrier
Then maybe
J.read(2 drives) (Hopefully cached, but could cross in to a new stripe...)
J.write(2 drives) -- Barrier

This is why an external journal on another device is a great idea.
Unfortunately what I really want is something like 512mb of battery
backed ram (at any vaguely modern speed) to split up as a journal
devices, but now everyone is selling SDDs which are broken for such
needs.  Any ram drive units still being sold seem to be more along
data-center grade sizes.