Re: RAID Class Drives`

On Sun, Apr 18, 2010 at 11:59 PM, Stefan /*St0fF*/ Hübner
<stefan.huebner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Am 18.04.2010 14:11, schrieb CoolCold:
>> I don't really understand one point - why it failed? Did the
>> controller dropped device because it wasn't responsible or md did
>> this? Rephrasing my question - this is really "tuning" for controller
>> not to drop device and report error or for md?
>
> If a desktop class drive starts its error recovery, it becomes
> unresponsive.  MD thinks this, but it isn't smart.  It tries to rewrite
> the sector while the drive itself is still in error recovery mode and by
> that unresponsive.  The write fails, MD drops the device.
Stop-stop. It is clear that timeouting "read" request in short period
is good idea, but i wanna know about writes
Does write fail because controller returns smth like "media error" or
md has internal operation timeouts?
Even if drive doens't become irresponsible and returns "error on
write" it will be dropped anyway.

So, SCT-ERC setting will prevent drive to be irresponsible for long
time which may be desirable in case of:
a) md doesn't have it's own timeouting mechanism and the whole md
device will be stucked
b) drive ( another partition ) is part of another array/lvm
pv/whatever and that device will be stucked too.

--
Best regards,
[COOLCOLD-RIPN]