Re: Linux Raid performance

Richard Scobie wrote:
Mark Knecht wrote:

Once all of that is in place then possibly more cores will help, but I
suspect even then it probably hard to use 4 billion CPU cycles/second
doing nothing but disk I/O. SATA controllers are all doing DMA so CPU
overhead is relatively *very* low.

There is the RAID5/6 parity calculations to be considered on writes and this appears to be single threaded. There is an experimental multicore kernel option I believe, but recent discussion indicates there may be some problems with it.

That is being polite. With that option set just doing a 'check' on a raid-5 will generate 100s of threads and max out all cores. I was trying to run the experimental FC13 64 bit kernel, and all of a sudden the machine came to a crawl and the cpu use went to 95%+ on all cores. Also drove the CPU temp way up, so I have to regard this as unsuitable for anything but light testing.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
 "We can't solve today's problems by using the same thinking we