Re: [Patch mdadm] Add hot-unplug support to mdadm

On 04/13/2010 05:28 AM, Tomáš Dulík wrote:
> Hi Doug,
>
> first of all: thanks for your work on hot-unplug!
> I am new to Linux RAID, have been using HW RAID before but after my LSI
> controller burned to ashes I decided I don't want to see HW RAID ... ever.
>
> First thing I found weird on Linux RAID was the missing support for dead
> device removal.
> I spent last 3 weeks trying to write various scripts for UDEV "remove"
> and mdadm "Fail" events handling, but finally I found the same thing
> like you - it is not possible to remove dead device from an array,
> because the events are issued too late. The only way to remove dead
> device is reboot, which is not what I would expect as solution in Linux
> world.
>
> So I downloaded your code from Neil's git
> (http://neil.brown.name/git?p=mdadm;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/hotunplug)
> and also applied the "Minor incremental fixup" mentioned in your message
> below.
>
> The compiled mdadm works OK for normal operations (--fail, --remove,
> --add), but crashes with Segmentation fault for the "--incremental
> --fail" operation if I use it for a disk that I have just disconnected.
> Here is what I've got:

[ snip ]

Thanks for the report.  You aren't likely doing anything wrong.  Neil
rewrote significant portions of my code and I suspect there is a
lingering issue in there.  I would have caught it already if I hadn't
ended up taking some time off sick.  But, I'm back and working on it
now, so I'll send an updated patch to the list soon.

--
Doug Ledford <dledford@xxxxxxxxxx>
              GPG KeyID: CFBFF194

Infiniband specific RPMs available at