RE: RAID Class Drives`

	I would not expect a hard drive to use any fluid lubricant at all in
its bearings, although it is possible.  Nonetheless, 55C is *NOT* a high
temperature for any industrial lubricant, dry or fluid.  Most petroleum
based and organic lubricants can easily withstand temperatures well in
excess of 140C indefinitely.  The motor oil in your car's engine is
subjected to much higher temperatures than that daily, and if it were not
for the blow-by of hot gases laden with graphite particles and un-burned
gasoline from the engine cylinders, the oil would last for many years.  I
would expect the drives to use delron or teflon bearings, or possibly
aluminum on brass, without any fluid lubricant at all.  Any of these can
easily withstand close to or more than 200C.

	The main source of failure of the drive is going to be its thin film
metallic oxide coating, whose life will be significantly reduced as the
temperature increases.  The next most heat-sensitive part of the drive is
going to be the electronics.  This is especially true since some of the
electronic components (which are generating most of the heat in the drive
other than the head actuator servo) may not be very well thermally coupled
with the aluminum housing.  This means their temperature is going to be much
higher than the temperature of the aluminum case of the drive.  Most Silicon
and Metal Oxide semiconductors will start to fail more rapidly over 80C, but
below 80C, most semiconductors have lifetimes in the dozens of years.