Re: metadata 1.2

Hi,

> I forget the commands, but the key thing for grub2 is stuffing all of
> the modules you need in to a single loadable image, and invoking the
> grub2 install command to embed THAT image.  It's then supposed to

exactly, THAT image is 28K and grub-install complains
there is no space, basically...
Actually, the complain is different, but the meaning
is that grub2 cannot do it.

The problem is grub2 wants to have its own things
outside the filesystem/lvm/raid containers.
Which is OK, but it requires also space somewhere
in the disk.
Standard option is to use the 32K left by tools
like fdisk, which put the beginning of the first
partition, by default, at sector 63.

Of course it is a bit silly to have a single
partition on a disk just to leave 32K free for
the bootmanager.
Not that this makes any damage, but it would be
more clean, i.e. less tools to deal with, to
avoid the partitioning completely.
This would require enough space for the bootmanager
to put its stuff.

That's why I was surprised that 1.2 leaves *only* 4K
without, apparently, any chance of having more space.

> In any event, the 4k offset code is still useful for raid 1 arrays,

How about changing it to something else?

Thanks,

bye,

--

piergiorgio