Re: (Re: Questions regarding startup of imsm container)

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 4:41 PM, Dan Williams <dan.j.williams@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> And would sure like to have a write-intent bitmap active to avoid this
>> resync issue which seems to be happening way too frequently.
>
> This could also be a problem with your distribution not taking care of
> mdmon properly at shutdown.  The shutdown scripts need to keep mdmon
> alive over the final "remounting rootfs readonly" event and wait for
> it to mark the array/metadata clean.  Otherwise there is a good chance
> that the array will be left dirty and require a resync at startup.
>
> Also note that recent versions of mdadm (3.1.2) and the kernel
> (2.6.33) can checkpoint imsm resyncs so at least it will not start
> over from the beginning when you reboot in the middle of a resync.

Does this functionality just work with the described version
combination, or is there something that needs to be done to activate
this behavior?

On a semi-related not, I believe I have worked out all of the startup
and shutdown issues and do have a imsm RAID configured that will now
survive a reboot without going int resync. However, I still am not
able to convince the array at startup to reconnect the external
write-intent bitmap. Is there some magic here that I am missing?