Re: Information gathering script

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 3:10 PM, Brad Campbell <brad@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> G'day all,
>
> Having just dropped a drive (it turns out 1TB SATA drives don't bounce) that
> belonged in my 10 drive RAID-6 and having replaced it this afternoon, I had
> a thought.
>
> When things go wrong (particularly those nasty things that cause the sick
> feeling in the pit of your stomach) the best help is always available give
> the right information.
>
> If there was a script that one could run when things were healthy that
> dumped all the relevant information for safe keeping, would it reduce the
> nightmare that is recovering a broken raid?
>
> I'd imagine an mdadm --examine on each component of a RAID, partition tables
> and perhaps a --detail on each md device. Is there anything else that might
> be handy that could be dumped to a verbose output just in case?
>
> Is there already such a thing?
>
> Regards,
> Brad

In my paranoia, I did this type of thing manually the other day.
(Great minds think alike?)

- I took the output of "lshw". Handy overview. Shows drive types,
serial numbers, drive-to-controller connections.
- It'd be very useful to have the UUID serials of each drive plus the
exact order they are assembled into the raid.
- And well, having a binary copy of all the superblocks and partition
tables sure can't hurt.

-- Kristleifur