Re: Questions regarding startup of imsm container

Randy Terbush wrote:
Update on progress....

I have managed to hack together a dracut created initramfs that has me
able to boot and has resolved all boot issues. Will let this thing
have a few hours of resyncing and see if external bitmap comes back
and how it handles the reboot.

I expect it will still come back up and resync again because I doubt the initscripts and killall5 implementation in Gentoo comprehend the coordination that needs to happen with mdadm/mdmon at system shutdown.

The two necessary pieces for external metadata support in the system halt script are:
1/ killall5 needs to omit mdmon from the process shutdown step
2/ A call to mdadm --wait-clean --scan is needed to ensure that mdmon has had a chance to mark the array clean before reboot/shutdown.

Note that step 2 requires that mdadm can find the mdmon communication socket which lives (by default) in /var/run/mdadm.

--
Dan