Re: [patch 1/1] [mdadm] Add partition checks when creating a new array

Luca Berra wrote:
On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 01:49:24PM +1100, Neil Brown wrote:
Is there a good library that we could use?
libparted might be a possibility, but it seems rather over-weight.
/lib/libparted-1.9.so.12.0.0 is larger than /sbin/mdadm !!!

Are there any other libraries for reading different partition tables?
I guess we can open-code it if we have to but I'd be happy if another
solution could be found.

i don't think so,
but there are two tools
partx from util-linux
kpartix from multipath-tools (which is based on the former)

so we could either grab code from those or just invoke
partx -l (i believe every distro installs util-linux by default)

L.

I'm probably missing something obvious but...
why don't you use the kernel directly to detect if there are partitions
on the device?

Like if the user wants to make a raid on /dev/sdg but the device
/dev/sdg1 exists, that's a problem, you fail the creation. (*)

This would support all the partition types that the kernel supports.

Probing the partitions on the disks and adding them to /dev/sd?N is done
automatically in all recent distributions even for hotpluggable devices so it's quite guaranteed that it would work

(*) Are there other situations that would overwrite a partition?