Re: Idea for new RAID type - background extended recovery information

On Wed, 2009-12-09 at 11:53 +0100, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Dec 2009, Michael Evans wrote:
>
> > keeps a checksum for every storage segment.  However that conflicts
> > with the 'zero it before creation and assume-clean works' idea.  It
> > also very likely has extremely poor write performance.
>
> Generally, my experience has been that total disk failures are fairly
> rare, instead with the much larger disks today, I get single block/sector
> failures, meaning 512 bytes (or 4 k, I don't remember) can't be read. Is
> there any data to support this?
>
> Would it make sense to add 4k to every 64k of raid chunk (non-raid1) for
> some kind of "parity" information. Since I guess all writes involves
> re-writing the whole chunk, adding 4k here shouldn't make the write
> performance be worse?
>
> The problem I'm trying to address is the raid5 "disk failure and then
> random single block/sector error on the rest of the drives".
>
> For arrays with few drives this would be much more efficient than going to
> raid6...?
>
> An 8 disk raid6 with 1TB you get 6 TB of usable data, for an 8 disk raid5p
> (p for parity, I just made that up), it would be 7*64/68=6.59 TB.

while this could work, i would personally far rather see raid6 gain all
the recovery/sanity options possible. raid6 has multiple copies of the
same data, and as long as you have >2 copies, you can begin to look at
all the data sets, and with a pretty good probability weed out the bad
set.