Re: mdadm creating raid5 with all spare disks

On 11.12.2009 02:01, Matt Tehonica wrote:
On Dec 10, 2009, at 7:47 PM, Richard Scobie <richard@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
<snip>
Looks like the drives are being dropped by the controller.

I believe there was some recent discussion here about mv_sas, md and
failures under heavy I/O load.

Thanks Richard! After some more review I found many people with this
problem and appears the linux-scsi devs submitted patches mid last
month. Building the latest kernel as we speak!

FYI; The fixes has not made it to mainline yet so 2.6.32 and 2.6.33-git is still broken with this driver. Not sure if they've landed in some scsi tree yet but manually applying patches 1-6 from the linux-scsi mailing list worked for me, at least to the point that it is now usable (patch 7 is for some libsas change not in 2.6.32).

On a related note, mptsas driver also seems to have issues with newer HBA's. Non-RAID SAS HBA's doesn't seem to be in a very good shape in Linux nowadays. Might give a mpt2sas driven controller a spin soon, curious on how that pans out..

--
André