Re: raid10 layout for 2xSSDs

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 6:29 AM, Kasper Sandberg <postmaster@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I've been wanting to create a raid10 array of two SSDs, and I am
> currently considering the layout.
>
> As i understand it, near layout is similar to raid1, and will only
> provide a speedup if theres 2 reads at the same time, not a single
> sequential read.
>
> so the choice is really between far and offset. As i see it, the
> difference is, that offset tries to reduce the seeking for writing
> compared to far, but that if you dont consider the seeking penalty,
> average sequential write speed across the entire array should be roughly
> the same with offset and far, with offset perhaps being a tad more
> "stable", is this a correct assumption? if it is, that would mean offset
> provides a higher "garantueed" speed than far, but with a lower maximum
> speed.

Do you plan to have more than two devices in the array? Raid 10 isn't
magic. If you don't have more than do devices, I suppose your seek
time might be half for reads (and higher for writes), but you won't be
able to do any striping.

I'm a bit confused as to the number of people popping in recently
wanting to run raid 10 on two disk "arrays".

cc

--
Chris Chen <muffaleta@xxxxxxxxx>
"The fact that yours is better than anyone else's