Re: IDE/RAID/AHCI setting in BIOS influcencing mdraid?

Hi Bill,

Bill Davidsen wrote:
> Martin MOKREJŠ wrote:
>> Hi everybody,
>>
>> That is what happened to me. Two disks are not in an ICH9R array but are
>> in raid0 under mdadm. Four disk are under raid10 under ICH9R while also
>> under raid10 under mdadm.
>>

> Could you clarify that last sentence? It sounds as if you have two
> independent arrays, using a controller for one and mdraid for the other,
> and they both use the same drives. Please tell me I'm misreading this...

No, you read it correctly. ICH9R controller has 6 disks connected. First two
do not have configured array "in BIOS" while latter 4 do have (RAID10). That
was my surprise as the machine uses md-array (the first two disks /dev/sd[a-b]1
in raid1, 0.9 superblock) while the latter four /dev/sd[c-f]1 as raid10 (0.9
superblock as well). In other words, the four disks in raid10 are assigned twice,
onder to ICH9R while also to md-raid10.

I think that once I configured the BIOS stuff but used subsequently mdadm to
create the array under linux. Thus I believe I overwrote the "imsm" superblock
without even knowing (but then ICH9R BIOS would not report the RAID10 spanning
the four disks nowadays, right?).

Thanks,
Martin