Re: Known-good LSI PCIe SAS HBAs?

On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 6:51 PM, Thomas Fjellstrom <tfjellstrom@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed November 11 2009, Richard Scobie wrote:
> > Thomas Fjellstrom wrote:
> > > Thats the problem he was trying to get away from. the MV8 controller
> > > likes to offline disks when a few smart commands arrive. at least with
> > > the main kernel drivers. But then the main kernel mvsas drivers decide
> > > to give up if you even attempt to start a raid array on them. The
> > > controller locks up and you have to reboot. Most of the time a reboot
> > > even fails when it tries to sync the block devices, so a hard reset is
> > > in order.
> >
> > OK, I did not know the Marvell controller also has a problem with
> > smartmontools.
>
> Given the state of the in kernel drivers, its probably a driver issue.

Thanks for the replies, all.

I'll bet it's the driver - it doesn't feel quite right that a random
external command can easily drop drives off the controller, be it
smartmontools or mdadm.

Thomas, I tried sending a private email to Andy Yan. I haven't got a
reply, which kind of isn't surprising in this world of spam. Can I ask
you for a referral - could you send him an email asking him if I can
have the patch and how to test it?

Also, to list-dwellers: I'd greatly appreciate further tips on PCIe SAS HBAs.

Thanks!