Re: Known-good LSI PCIe SAS HBAs?

On Wed November 11 2009, Kristleifur Daðason wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 7:01 AM, Thomas Fjellstrom <tfjellstrom@xxxxxxx>
wrote:
> > On Tue November 10 2009, you wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I'm looking to replace a problematic Marvell PCIe SAS JBOD controller
> >> from Supermicro, type AOC-SASLP-MV8. (mdadm freaks out on it and the
> >> controller drops the drives - there has been discussion of the problem
> >> on the list. Seems to be a mvsas driver problem but seems to surface
> >> only under mdadm use.)

> > Not really an answer to your question, I got a snapshot of the in
> > development driver that seems to work just fine. I haven't run smartctl
> > on the controller much mind you, as it seems to freak out my onboard
> > controller too (AMD SB750). I could attempt it, but I've recently just
> > switched over to that hardware for my main server, and I'm reluctant to
> > try running smartctl on the array, as it'd probably require a reboot to
> > get which ever disk back that might get dropped.
>
> That's quite interesting.
> Did you discuss this on a mailing list somewhere and have a link to
> that discussion? Or would you be willing to forward a message to
> honorable mr. driver guy? I'd love to try the patch before buying a
> new controller.

There seems to be something seriously wrong with the kernel.org mailing
lists. They seem to miss a bunch of messages that get sent out. Its happened
on several occasions now with not only my messages, but others as well, on
several different mailing lists, including lkml, linux-raid, linux-ide, and
linux-scsi.

The best I can do is a link to my reply to Andy Yan's message, since Andy
Yan's message is mysteriously not in any of the archives. And I'm pretty
sure I didn't get two copies so the one sent to the list's just disappeared.

http://lkml.org/lkml/2009/10/14/76

> Thanks!
> --

Thomas Fjellstrom