Re: RAID 6 Failure follow up

Ryan Wagoner wrote:
This is interesting to hear as I have been using smartmontools on my
Supermicro LSI 1068E controller with the target firmware for 2 years
now on CentOS 5. I have 3 RAID 1 arrays across 2 drives, a RAID 5
drive across 3 drives, and a RAID 0 across 2 drives.

I have 3 boxes using 1068E controllers attached to 16 drive port expander based chassis that have been built over the last 2.5 years and they all react badly.

In fact the latest one put together a month ago (which is using more recent controller IT firmware and kernel than the other two), will not tolerate a single smartctl command, where the other two will maybe 50% of the time.

Something is not right here and others running different drive setups - direct attached and port multipler based are seeing the same thing.

Suffice it to say, I would recommend heavy testing before putting into production and I personally have no confidence currently.

Regards,

Richard