Re: RAID down, dont know why!

I had this setup running under ubuntu 9.04 with raid6, all nine drives
for about a month without any of these issues.

I installed the new ubuntu fresh and tried to rebuild the array with a
larger chunk size.

I also created the file system with the proper stride and width parameters.

I am wondering if TLER, or a larger chunk, ext options, or OS change
might have caused this. I do not think that it is a backpane issue... I
will however re-seat all of the drives here in a little bit.

Ryan Wagoner wrote:
> Is this the box on your blog at http://blog.agdunn.net/?p=391 ? If so
> those cards are to be used in the Supermicro UIO slot, which is
> basically just an inverted PCI Express slot. However since there is
> only one UIO slot per board they might have not tested compatibility
> with multiple in the same system.
>
> I do have one of these boards installed on an Intel board without
> issue. I have had the 7 drives connected in mdadm RAID for almost 2
> years now with no dropouts. You might try a port multiplier since the
> card supports it and one drive isn't going to use the full bandwidth
> of a single SAS cable.
>
> Ryan
>
> On Sun, Nov 8, 2009 at 10:01 AM, Robin Hill <robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> What would I be looking for on this? Its a lot to sift through.
>>>
>>> Currently just line-by-lining it.
>>>

>> Look for where the drives are being kicked out of the array (should be
>> towards the bottom).  Just above that should be some error messages
>> (often including bus resets).
>>
>> Cheers,
>>    Robin
>> --
>>     ___
>>    ( ' }     |       Robin Hill        <robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> |
>>   / / )      | Little Jim says ....                            |
>>  // !!       |      "He fallen in de water !!"                 |
>>

> --

Andrew Dunn
http://agdunn.net