Re: Successful RAID 6 setup

Thanks for the replies.

I began using mdadm in ubuntu 8.04, which I believe was the 2.6.24
kernel. The rebuild times under this kernel with 6 500GiB drives were
very fast... I think like 100-200m, but that was with a raid5.

Using raid6 under ubuntu 9.04 , which was 2.6.28 I would get 20m rebuild
times on raid6 with 1TiB drives. This would take literally 10-14 hours
depending on my array size.

Now with ubuntu 9.10, which is 2.6.31 I get like 50-75m on the same
exact raid6 rebuild.

I didn't realize that software/OS mattered so much for performance from
kernel to kernel.

I need to look more into this bitmap that people have mentioned.

--
Andrew Dunn
http://agdunn.net