Re: md[adm] device names

also sprach Neil Brown <neilb@xxxxxxx> [2009.11.02.0315 +0100]:
> Numbers are meaningless.  I would much rather have "/dev/md/home" or
> "/dev/md/backup" or whatever.  But as I said, old names should still
> work.

… except sysfs exposes device names à la md1, right? I agree with
Michael that we should either have numbers or names, but not both.
http://bugs.debian.org/553896 came in today, which is just another
instance of confusion resulting from multiple choices.

I personally don't have a problem with numbers; they are as
meaningless or -full as partition numbers, and I used stuff like
/dev/sda5 on my systems for decades without problems. The trend
these days is dm/LVM, and that gives us decent names like
/dev/mapper/home, and I see the benefit in moving towards
/dev/md/home, but it needs to be done consistently, and either one
or the other.

"if ever somethin' don't feel right to you, remember what pancho said
 to the cisco kid...  `let's win, before we are dancing at the end of
 a rope, without music.'"
                                                             -- sailor

spamtraps: madduck.bogus@xxxxxxxxxxx