Re: small mdadm issue under debian

On Thu October 29 2009, Asdo wrote:
> Thomas Fjellstrom wrote:
> >> Then reboot to a new kernel and see if it auto assembles.
> >
> > I don't have them auto assemble in initrd/initramfs. Its done later in
> > the mdadm-raid script if I read it correctly. Its also a 1.1 metadata
> > array, so the kernel can't auto assemble it itself.
>
> You probably mean "it can't auto assemble it itself without an
> initramfs"! :-D

Maybe I'm being a little pedantic, but initramfs is a miniature userspace so
it isn't the kernel that is doing the auto assembling ;) just an embedded
mdadm ;)

> I have my root filesystem on a 1.0 metadata raid on 2.6.31 so it
> definitely assembles it...
> For 1.1 I suppose it's the same.
> But it does need to be in the /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf that is packed in
> the initramfs, so make sure the problem is not that one, try by
> unpacking the initramfs with cpio

I don't need it to assemble my array at boot time, the array is used for
media files, not the root partition. I would however like the mdadm-raid
script to be able to assemble the array during boot, which works under
2.6.26, and not under 2.6.29,.30, or .31.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom
tfjellstrom@xxxxxxx