Re: ANNOUNCE: mdadm 3.1 - A tool for managing Soft RAID under Linux

On Thursday October 22, postmaster@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-10-22 at 14:12 +1100, Neil Brown wrote:
> > Hot on the heals of 3.0.3 I am pleased to announce the availability of
> >    mdadm version 3.1
> <snip>
> > You should only upgrade if you need to use, or which to test, these
> > features.
>
> Why is that? because its more untested than older versions, or because
> of some other thing? i guess what im asking is, should people that dont
> need these features keep on the older branches indefinitely, or just
> hold off for some more testing? (aka grab it when the distribution
> update arrives)

"just hold off for some more testing".

The new functionality in 3.1 is still very fresh and I would rather
people had to make a deliberate decision to install the new code in
order to use it, rather than just finding that it works and assuming
that it is completely reliable.

I have received some very valuable feedback on 3.1 already and will
fix a number of issues in 3.1.1.  At that point I suspect I will
suggest people upgrade.

Thanks,
NeilBrown